Monday, February 11, 2008

"Juno"

By now, you’ve probably had a chance to see the movie “Juno”, or at least heard about it.  I just thought I’d give you an amateur review from a future adoptive mom.  J

“Juno” was the best movie I’ve seen in a long time.  It was pure, honest, heart wrenching, and fun all at the same time.  The movie had a very youthful feel with such great musical selections—the album was number one on iTunes the first week the movie came out!

I do think the producers pushed the PG13 rating a bit, however.  There were several children in the theatre under age 13, which surprised us and made me uncomfortable during a couple of scenes.  So, I recommend that if you go see it, make sure you go with someone you’re very comfortable with, or rent it and watch it at home.

The writers did a great job of bringing us both sides of an adoption story.  With a rapid fire of youth slang, “Juno” starts out by shedding light on the thought processes that lead a 15-year-old girl into having sex.  As the story progresses, we see how a crisis situation matures her quickly as she begins to realize the depravity of the human race.  By the end, we learn that no matter the age or circumstance, making an adoption plan is a painful sacrifice for both the mother and her family. 

I must say, they also nailed the adoptive couple in many ways.  If I hadn’t been sitting in a theatre full of teenagers who laughed at all the wrong times, I probably would have cried…a lot.  Instead, I was annoyed at their disrespect and tried to remind myself that they hadn’t yet experienced anything close to this in their lives and therefore don’t have the capacity to understand.  Despite that, I understood as the adoptive couple straightened the towels in an attempt to present a perfect house to the birthmother.  I grinned when they were standing in the future nursery and she was quoting “What to Expect the First Year.”  As she and her husband debated over whether to paint the nursery green or yellow, Andy and I laughed because we had that conversation just that week!  My heart leapt as the adoptive mom felt the baby kick from inside the birthmother’s stomach.  I could easily imagine how she must have been feeling at that very moment.

The independent/private adoption process modeled in “Juno” seemed to follow current practices for the most part.  It did bother me that the first meeting between the birthmother and the adoptive couple was at the home of the adoptive couple with the lawyer present.  That would never happen, at least not in our state.  Typically it would be done at the lawyer’s office or some other public place.  But, the writers qualified this meeting by throwing in a one liner about how the adoptive couple is interested in an open adoption.  It still didn’t satisfy me, but it wasn’t enough to turn me off either.

I would highly recommend this movie.  Just remember that I warned you about the five or six quick moments that will make you blush and look around to see if everyone else is blushing too.

5 comments:

jimmy (dge.y.m.ie) said...

Lauren and I thought of you guys when we saw this movie. Lauren was like, I hope they don't see it, because of how negatively they portrayed the adoptive parents at times. But the movie did paint a picture of some realistic aspects. We liked it, but it sure was edgy, in good ways and bad ways--it was edgy.

Anonymous said...

you've made me want to see this with a whole new set of eyes!

Anonymous said...

I haven't gotten to see the movie. Sherri saw it with Mike and Dana and really liked it. I need to see it!
Love you!
Nana :)

Trellis said...

I've been wanting to see this movie. I will make a point to do that now! Long time no see, Miss you!

Nikki said...

Okay...ya didn't post in March at all and April is about to pass you by, what's up girlfriend!?!? Love ya!